Find more info about guidelines from Rwanda on the official website
IMPORTANT RACE UPDATE
It is with an extremely heavy heart that the Rwandan Epic team are having to change the format of this year's event. This year we will move from an international stage race to a 2 day national level event.
COVID has had a huge impact on people all over the world right from the individual to whole countries. Ease of travel is one sector that has been affected and significantly changed. We at Rwandan Epic are trying to figure out what this new normal looks like, while striving to promote a sport we love in a responsible and sustainable way. We have been monitoring various Govt updates, listening to participant feedback about difficulties and restrictions of travel, watching the recent spike in cases across Europe and the Middle East and all these factors have pushed us to make the difficult decision to change the event status.
As of today, sport competitions are still not allowed in Rwanda, and we cannot guarantee they will by November 22nd. We still intent to make this a one day race + one day sportive, for a weekend full of epic MTB riding.
In order to cause as little disruption as possible to those planning to attend, we wanted to make this decision 2 months prior to the event. Our promise of full refunds or deferral stands, and we will be in touch individually with all those who have committed to attend.
For anyone who enjoys Mountain Biking, is already in Rwanda or are here on holiday, we will be issuing details about the new national version of the Rwandan Epic shortly.
Coming to Rwanda in Times of COVID-19
Rwanda has opened its borders for tourists and international visitors! No Quarantine is required, but the country asks for a negative test taken before boarding the plane, and a second one after landing. In these times, rules and regulation can change quickly though, make sure to follow the guidelines from your own government, meanwhile, we will try to put all updates from Rwandan side on this webpage.
COVID has had a huge impact across all walks of life and as people enter into the ‘new normal’ we understand there are still many uncertainties. The travel, tourism and sport sectors have been dramatically affected, and RAR Events are committed to encourage both re-growth of these sectors and the investment into local communities.
We know that the future is hard to predict and there are many variables that might positively and negatively affect an event. We are working closely with the Rwandan Ministries and Cycling Federation to ensure that all measures are in place to give participants a safe experience both on and off the bike.
COVID - From Aug 2020 international arrivals are required to have a COVID test within 72 hours of arrival. Once you land you will receive another test at the airport. If negative you will be able to proceed without any other restrictions. If positive then you will be required to quarantine in a Govt nominated hotel - you will be required to pay for the cost of the hotel.
If a participant is forced to cancel their participation due to COVID related events not included in COVID specific force majeure, then they will receive a 50% refund (transaction fee excluded) *please see Ts and Cs for detail of COVID specific force majeure
- 15/08/2020 - The Rwandan Govt have extended the test period from 72hrs to 120hrs before arrival into Rwanda.
- 15/08/2020 - All arrivals will receive a COVID test on arrival in Kigali. Approved accommodation is available while waiting for test results.
- 15/08/2020 - The Rwandan Epic team is on hand to help with arrange accomodation if you are arriving in advance or staying longer.
- 16/08/2020 - The Rwandan Epic is working closely with the Rwandan Cycling Federation and Visit Rwanda to ensure compliance with all COVID measures.
- 01/09/2020 - Govt of Rwanda webpage for further details and updates - HERE
- 01/09/2020 - Authorised hotels for arrival can be found HERE
- 09/09/2020 - COVID tests on arrival are taking up to 24hrs and require arriving people to book into pre-authorised hotels.
- Before travel to Rwanda, passengers must fill out a Passenger Locator Form. To fill out this form, passengers must be able to provide passport information, travel details, negative PCR COVID-19 test results, and a booking confirmation at one of the designated hotels for a 24-hour quarantine upon arrival.